For those of you who know about me and my love of musicals, you are aware of my strange connection to Hair. There is one song in particular that I have never quite understood but I think now I do...
***So, in case you are unawares of how the musical goes...it's essentially a story about Vietnam and how young Americans responded to the war and the draft (and subsequently how they fit into society despite this). Let's just say, it's pretty hippie, and there's a lot of sex and drugs.***
Regardless there is a song in which three of the characters sing a song that goes as follows:
Cause I look different You think I'm subversive Crazy for the blue white and red My heart beats true For the red white and blue Crazy for the blue white and red And yellow fringe
So all the exposition leads to my epiphany of this song, and it took my living in another country to understand this. I may not always agree with the politics in this nation and I will never be 100% proud of decisions made by the government nor the everyday citizens of the states. We are a young nation with a great deal to learn...we can be head strong, competitive, and down right frustrating to other countries. Despite these things...I. Am. American. There is no denying it and I must be proud of this. Today, no one even mentioned 9/11 and that's when it hit me. I may be 'subversive', but being proud to be from the USA and being a part of the counter-culture movement are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
I may not scream my love of my country everyday and I may not wear red, white, and blue on national holidays, but regardless, I am a citizen of the United States. My family is in the United States, everything I know is there. Thus, on this day of remembrance I must say that I am thinking of home and the love I have for all of you!
...Strange how we learn who we are by first learning who we are not.
Forgive my 'rant-like' blog post. I have been trying to openly discuss what I have learned and this is the most importance lesson I have learned while I have been in Ireland.
As always...my love,
-J
No comments:
Post a Comment