Section A:
Primary School (the most concise explanation I found was on Wikipedia):
- Junior Infants (Naíonáin Shóisearacha) (age 4-6)
- Senior Infants (Naíonáin Shinsearacha) (age 5-7)
- First Class (Rang a hAon) (age 6-8)
- Second Class (Rang a Dó) (age 7-9)
- Third Class (Rang a Trí) (age 8-10)
- Fourth Class (Rang a Ceathar) (age 9-11)
- Fifth Class (Rang a Cúig) (age 10-12)
- Sixth Class (Rang a Sé) (age 11-13)
1) Junior Cycle:
- First Year (An Chéad Bhliain) (age 12–14)
- Second Year (An Dara Bliain) (age 13–15)
- Third Year (An Tríú Bliain) (age 14–16)
For students at Blackrock this year is mandatory and is an important part of their schooling process. After transition year, the students begin in their senior cycle, this goes as follows:
-The Senior Cycle: culminates with the Leaving Certificate Examination. Students normally begin this aged 15–17 the year following the completion of the Junior Cycle or Transition Year. The Leaving Certificate Examination is taken after two years of study usually at the ages of 17-19.
The Leaving "Certs" are like our SATs and are provided in three different categories:
| The Leaving Certificate Programme - This is the most widely taken programme in which students must take at least five subjects, including Irish (with the exception of those entering the system after 11 years of age). Those intending to pursue higher education at a third-level institutenormally takes this examination and access to third-level courses depends on results obtained. |
| The Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme (LCVP) first introduced in 1989 is similar to the established programme detailed above, however there is an added vocational content and a concentration on technical subjects. Pupils taking the LCVP take five Leaving Certificate subjects (including two vocational subjects); a modern European Language and three link modules on Enterprise Education, Preparation for Work and Work Experience. |
| The Leaving Certificate Applied - The Leaving Certificate Applied is a two-year Leaving Certificate available to students who wish to follow a practical programme with a strong vocational emphasis. The primary objective of this person-centred programme is to prepare participants for adult and working life.While certification in the LCA does not qualify for direct entry to third-level courses, students who successfully complete the programme are able to proceed to many Post Leaving Certificate courses. The framework of the LCA consists of a number of modules grouped under three general headings: General Education; Vocational Education and Vocational Preparation |
Part B:
Ok, so now that I was long winded about Irish education, I feel I can talk about what I am teaching. My first day was terrifying and I felt so out of place the whole day. My cooperating teachers are very down to business and do not seemed too concerned with my growth and development which tends to leave me feeling in the way for most classes. It appears that I will have a good bit of freedom and will be thrown in by the end of the week (SCARY!). I have some ideas already, and I will be teaching mostly transition year students (also known as 4th year students), 4th year choir, and 2nd year choir. I am trying to pick out music for the two choirs but I don't really know their skill level which makes finding music very challenging.
The boys all seem pretty well behaved, but I noticed that teachers are rather strict in the classroom and the teachers get pretty sassy with their students. For example, today I heard teachers say:
-It's day one and you are already on my nerves.
-You are 6th year students and you are supposed to be setting an example, but clearly you have yet to rise to this challenge.
- When I am talking, no one else is talking. If there is any part of this that you don't understand please let me know.
I don't really know how to be like this with students, I am much better in an environment where people don't fear me but respect me because I am helping them realize their greatest potential. I believe all students should be given some freedom to grow as young learners. It appears that this happens less here than it does back home.
I have been given little direction during my first two days and have realized that in order to get the most out of this experience I must rise to the challenge and take a running start into the storm that lies ahead. I hope that the past three and half years of training have left me well prepared for the next ten weeks and I will find it in me to portray myself as a good enough musician.
Praying for guidance,
Jackie
No comments:
Post a Comment